The Mirador Resort Blue Zones
Blue Zones have been determined by scientists as places where the world,s longest-living people reside. In different press publications (National Geographic, International Living etc. ) it was discribed that Costa Ricas Nicoya peninsula is one of the 4 special regions in the world ( beside spots in Italia, Panama and Ecuador ) where a surprising high number of people live well into their 90s and 100s. Samara is a District of the Canton de Nicoya.
The scientists studying the old people of Samara and of the Nicoya Peninsula found different key reasons for this longevity.
- Diet: The people here are highly influenced by the diet of this region, organic, healthy food, fish/seafood from the Pacific Ocean which is not preserved, but consumed right away. Cattle, poultry, pigs still are raised in the traditional form, thus not being influenced by artificial, hormonic ingredience.
- Dry Climate: Nicoya is the driest part of Costa Rica and in dry climates food doesnot spoil as quickly, the sun is more intense, and people get fewer respiratory deseases and more Vitamin D.
- Water: With loads of calcium, the hard water encourages strong bones and fewer hip fractures
- Eating lightly: They eat a light dinner early in the evening. (Eating fewer calories is proven to add years to your life.)
- Family focus: The Nicoya centenarians tend to live as couples or with children and/or other family members from whom they get support.
- Work: They enjoy physical work all their lives and find joy in everyday chores.
- Purpose: They feel needed and want to contribute to a greater good.
Last to mention that all the 4 hotspots of longevity are charactesised by its quiet envirement , unspoiled nature, away from poluted dense pobulation sites Ė reasons that attracts locals and foreighnors from all over the world to choose Samara as second or even first home.